Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Intro Letter About Me...Eryn Connors


Hi, my name is Eryn Connors. I enjoy doing yoga, walking my dog in the harbor or on the beach at North Beach, snorkeling/scuba diving and travelling. My husband and I have been married for 3 ½ years and my baby girl just turned 1. I can’t believe she is 1 already; the time really flies! I was born and raised in Orange County. I grew up in Dana Point and now live in San Juan Capistrano. I am a product of the Capistrano Unified School District; I went to Del Obispo Elementary, Marco Foster Middle School and graduated from Dana Hills High School where I received a soccer scholarship to Cal Poly SLO (Go Mustangs)! I graduated from Cal Poly with my BA in Speech Communication. After taking some time off to travel (I went to Europe and did the whole back-packing/Eurorail thing for 2 months) I decided to become a teacher. I took an aide position in a Structured Autism class and loved it! I enrolled in the CSUSM intern/concurrent program and have been teaching for 7 years in Capistrano Unified. I teach SDC 1-3. I have great kids who teach me something new everyday, and I feel very fortunate to have a supportive principal and wonderful colleagues who welcome me and my kids with open arms into their classrooms.


I feel pretty comfortable with technology, as long as I have someone walking me through new applications and/or programs. I’m not a totally techie, but I do use technology on a daily basis. For instance, at school, we have ABI attendance (online attendance), I use GENESEA for IEPs (online IEPS), I have work and home email accounts where I like to send pictures of my daughter to friends/family, and I know how to download songs from itunes to my iphone and ipod (maybe some would say I'm technologically challenged if this is all I can do. You be the judge). I’ve done Power Point presentations, as well as made a slide show on iphoto for Open House. I have not graduated to making an imovie, yet. I own and use both Macs and PC. At school, I primarily use a Mac, but when doing IEPs GENESEA runs better on a PC. I use the old Microsoft Office, 2003.


Preparing thoughtful educators and advancing professional practices is an important piece of the CSUSM Mission Statement. Having been a special educator for several years now and I see the importance of these words. I am the youngest teacher on my staff. I work with very experienced and amazing teachers, but it is difficult (at times) to get my students in the mainstream, into the general education classrooms. CSUSM teaches, as a best practice, the importance of inclusive education at all levels. Special Education is growing and changing and all teachers need to know how to reach all learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment